Unsung heroes from across the district were recognised at the Pride of Malvern Hills Community Awards last night (19 March).
Guests packed out the HD Anywhere Stadium, the home of Malvern Town FC, to celebrate the selfless dedication of volunteers, charities and organisations who have made a positive impact on our community.
The awards, which were previously named the Our Malvern Hills Community Awards, had six categories.
These included: Inspirational Young Person’s Award, Cleaner and Greener Community Award, Improving Lives Award, Community Project Award, Inclusive Award and Business in the Community Award. The Community Project Award was a people’s choice award which was voted for by guests on the night.
The comperes were Cllr David Chambers, Leader of the Malvern Hills District Council, and Cllr David Watkins, Portfolio Holder for Housing and Communities.
Guest speakers included Chantry Community Leaders and Lucy Wells from Worcestershire Community Foundation.
More than £120 was raised through a raffle which went towards the Upton charity Worcestershire Cancer Aid.
Amanda Smith, Community Services Manager at Malvern Hills District Council, said: “The Pride of Malvern Hills Community Awards are a chance to celebrate the selfless, hard work of the wonderful people in our district who have gone above and beyond to help others.
“The awards form part our Five Year Plan commitment to building stronger and healthier communities. Thank you to everyone who nominated and came along to show their support.”
The winners of the Pride of Malvern Hills Community Awards 2019:
Cleaner and Greener Community Award:
- Upton in Bloom Volunteers- Judges’ Choice
- David Edgerton- Highly Commended
- Tonia and Isabella Jones- Highly Commended
- Pam White (Garage Art)- Judges’ Choice
- Malvern Against Homelessness- Highly Commended
- Malvern Welcomes- Highly Commended
Business in the Community Award:
- Welland Stores- Judges’ Choice
- EIL UK- Highly Commended
- OLPRO- Highly Commended
Inspirational Young Person’s Community Award:
- Gabrielle Connor- Judges’ Choice
- Chantry Community Leaders- Highly Commended
- Matthew Knight and Lily Xia- Highly Commended
- Sophie Jackson- Highly Commended
Improving Lives Award:
- Upton Community Care- Judges’ Choice
- Kelly Hitchins and Russell Petty- Highly Commended
- Pat Owen- Highly Commended
- Paul Hern- Highly Commended
Community Project Award (People’s Choice):
- Mappfest- Judges’ Choice
- Café 27 Youth and Community Hub- Highly Commended
- Lower Broadheath Community Shop- Highly Commended
- Malvern HeartStart- Highly Commended
- Shelsley Water Mill Society- Highly Commended